Como se dice English?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

>>AFTERTHOUGHTS<<
((dont know if this makes any sense))

My assignment to observe behavorial patterns between genders has been an extremely positive experience. I have learned that there is more than meets the eye. I reported exactly what I saw, but it never occured to me to question why I came to the conclusion I did. Why is it that the girls on the bus grouped together whereas the guys were reluctant to sit next to one another? It's true, there is more than meets the eye but it doesn't end there. There is something more.
I'm not expert an ethnographist ( is that what you call it?) by any means but that's not to say I cannot develop a theory of some sort as to why men and women interact the way they do. Evaluating the behavorial patterns of males is too far of a concept for me to grasp. However, I can speak for the girls. Consider this... It's late at night and you need to go back to your dorm. You are alone and have no one to walk you back to your dorm, instead you decide to take the bus. It's too "dangerous" to walk outside in the dark alone so the bus is your best option.( but thats not to say this is only reason girls ride the bus, it sjust an example) Even if it were a group of girls... I would hope that most would agree with me in saying that is a lot safer and easier to ride the bus.
So, you board the bus and for a college student the p2p it a can be a pretty interesting place. You find everything on that bus- especially drunk people. If you're lucky, you might have a "cool" bus driver who plays "hip" music on the bus and this tends to ease the awkwardness of riding a bus with a bunch of strangers. In my opinion, the atmosphere is set up in such a way where it encourages you to interact with other people. This is especially true between male and females. The seating arrangement also is a conducive factor in encouragin both sexes to interact.
As I had previously mentioned, guys tend to sit further apart from one another, whereas girls tend to group up. This is perfect! As a result, the chance of a female sitting by a male is a lot more probable than a male to be sitting in close proximities to each other. Which can attributed in explaining why males and females were more likely to talk to one another in the short time that I was there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home